Skip to main content

Adding Nextbit Robin to udev rules

If you ever had to use adb or fastboot for your android devices on linux, you may have noticed that devices show up only when you add 'sudo' to these tools. This isn't good. Here's a way to remedy it. Instructions tested on openSUSE tumbleweed.

* Update your adb and fastboot from Android Studio SDK manager (platform-tools) or wherever you got it from.
* Make sure your user is added to the "plugdev".  Create a plugdev group if it doesn't exist "sudo groupadd plugdev"
* Add your user to plugdev "sudo usermod -a -G plugdev $(whoami)"
* Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules (create file if it doesn't exist) and add the following line for nextbit robin:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="2c3f", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
Replace the ATTR{idVendor}'s value with your device's value. For all nextbit robin devices, these are the same "2c3f". You can find them by typing "lsusb". If you can't make out which one it is, simply remove your usb, run the command and connect your usb and re run the command and find the entry that didn't appear before. And finally, do the following:

* sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
* sudo udevadm trigger

Now you should get your devices listed and it should come up fine for adb/fastboot without sudo. If this still doesn't work, try reconnecting your cable or restarting. Obviously you should have USB debugging turned on and should've clicked on "allow" on your phone when that signature dialog box pops up. If you don't get this, try with a different cable or try re-enabling USB debugging from Developer options. Revoke authorizations and try again. You could also try switching your USB Configuration mode to "Charging" or "MTP" to get it to work. All of these options are within Developer options on the phone.


Popular posts from this blog

Docker CE on openSUSE tumbleweed

Getting the docker community edition installed and running on openSUSE can be difficult because there are no official docs on how to do it for openSUSE, specifically the tumbleweed version of it.
Here's what I did to make it work:
Add the Virtualization:containers repo of openSUSE Tumbleweed and install docker as shown below. (This should install Docker CE) sudo zypper addrepo sudo zypper refresh && sudo zypper install dockerDisable the docker daemon that was started from systemd if any. sudo sysctl stop docker Starting docker service using the bundled systemd config seems to be causing issues with some docker functions. I wasn't able to get to the root of the problem, but I found out that running the daemon manually seemed to fix the errors I had from having the docker started via systemd.Start containerd (and keep it running): sudo containerd /run/…

Installing fonts and using it in Xresources

Drop the .otf/.ttf font file in ~/.local/share/fonts (or the deprecated ~/.fonts/)

Rehash fonts db using: fc-cache -f -v (or reboot)

Find the font family name by grepping for it like: fc-list -v | grep "Nerd font" | grep "family:"

My result was "DroidSansMono Nerd Font"

In ~/.Xresources, put in this line: xterm*faceName: xterm*faceName: DroidSansMono Nerd Font:size=16:antialias=true

And finally: xrdb ~/.Xresources